Using the S.T.A.M.P.E.D Method to Get the Right Swagelok Hose
by Katie Dennis, on Wed, Aug 21, 2013 @ 15:08 PM
These seven factors are the keys to getting the right hose at the right time
Use the STAMPED method to make sure you are getting what you need.
Let's go through the list: When you get ready to order hose from Edmonton Valve & Fitting, use the STAMPED method to make sure you are getting what you need. The letters stand for Size, Temperature, Application, Material, Pressure, End Connection and Delivery.
- Swagelok offers hose in nominal diameters of 1/8 inch to 2 inches. Not all sizes are available in all types of hose. Size also is a consideration when you have concerns about space constraints. Hose assemblies with elbows and union ball joints may help resolve those issues.
- Identify the minimum and maximum temperatures the hose assembly will be exposed to with regard to the system media and the environment. Different hose materials operate best within different temperature ranges. Metal hose is the choice for temperatures from -325 to 100F (-200 to 37C). Fluoropolymer Hose has a narrower range, from -65 to 450F (-53 - 230C). Nylon hose has an even narrower range, -40 - 200F (-40 to 93C).
- If the hose is expected to flex or otherwise change position while in use, that's called a Dynamic Application. If the hose is to remain stationary and not move in any plane, that's called a Static Application.
- Identify the system media and the environment to which the hose assembly will be exposed. This will help determine the materials of construction best suited to the application demands and whether the hose requires a static dissipative core.
- Identify the minimum and maximum pressures (or vacuum) within and outside the hose assembly.
- Identify which type of end connection is most compatible with the system requirements. End connections differ with regard to materials of construction and pressure ratings.
- How fast do you need it? Edmonton Valve & Fitting stocks a range of high-quality hose and tubing products locally, and sometimes making a small change in your hose parameters can greatly improve delivery time. Also, we are happy to custom build hoses to your specifications in house.
In addition to the STAMPED requirements, you should also know your required length and the cleanliness needed.
Ready to get into the details? Download the catalogue of hose and flexible tubing »